Application form for all posts can be downloaded: here
Housing Association Opportunities
Be part of the YMCA team that has been in existence since 1852! We are proud to be an Investors In People Gold organisation and winner of a silver Corporate Health Standard Award, where we encourage participation in our team activities such as choir, staff walks and even calming colouring.
We have a generous contributory pension scheme for all employees and also membership to a Private Health Scheme.
Location: YMCA, Roath, Cardiff
Hours: 37 ½ hours per week. Covering shifts between 6am – 6pm , Monday to Sunday.
Starting Salary: £17,772 (NJC scale 17)
Post: We provide support services and accommodation for the community, and homeless people. Our Catering department provide a nutritious and quality service for residents and are currently looking for a capable, motivated individual, who thrives on working in a fast-paced environment. Using creative flair and initiative you will be responsible for assisting the Senior Cook in planning menus and producing a variety of dishes from fresh ingredients. You will be contributing to the effective service provision of the kitchen alongside a dedicated team. The ideal candidate will have a flexible and enthusiastic approach to their work and enjoy working as part of a team
The closing date for application is 5pm on Monday 20th August 2018.
Applicants will only be contacted if they are successful in securing an interview. Interviews will take place on the 29th August 2018.
To join our team and for further job details, job description, person specification and application form please email firstname.lastname@example.org or download an application form from above.
Completed application forms should be emailed to: email@example.com or sent to Executive Office Manager, Cardiff YMCA Housing Association, The Walk, Roath, Cardiff, CF24 3AG.
If you have any questions please contact Mark Ainsworth (Catering Manager) on 02920 465250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A DBS Disclosure is required for all posts. Please note that CVs are not accepted.
YMCA Cardiff is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other class protected by law.
JOB TITLE: Cook
RESPONSIBLE TO: Catering Manager
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB:-
To ensure food production for the residents of the organisation’s homeless persons hostels and paying customers. To ensure all duties related to the production of food including cleaning, stock control, HACCP measures etc. are carried out to the expected standard.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To cook meals for residents and other customers as directed by daily menus, and to ensure that all customers receive satisfactory meals on request during the allotted times, ensuring that all meals provided are of a high standard and are well presented. To keep Healthy Options and good Nutrition in mind when cooking and preparing meals. To ensure that portion control is maintained by being aware of the portion sizes allocated to any particular dish. To ensure that all wastage of food is kept to the absolute minimum.
- To follow the Cooks Daily Task Sheet and ensure all tasks are completed and signed off.
- To ensure that the dining room is opened and closed at the allotted times and to ensure that tables are laid correctly and on time and to ensure that tables are cleared and clean whenever the tables are vacated. To ensure that the menu is prepared and displayed for mid-day and evening meals.
- To be aware of and fully compliant with all Food Safety legislation maintaining a high standard of hygiene and cleanliness at all times. To ensure that the kitchen and all equipment is left in a clean and tidy condition prior to completion of all duties. To ensure that the stock room, refrigerators and freezers are kept in a clean and tidy condition throughout the shift.
- To be responsible for the conduct and duties of all catering staff in the absence of a Senior Cook and to stand in for the Senior Cooks when they are not on duty. (This will be essential in the case of sickness, holidays etc).
- To be aware of all rules and regulations affecting the catering facilities and to ensure that they are complied with at all times. i.e., Health & Safety at Work Act, Fire Regulations, Food Safety Act and regulations and organizational HACCP policies and procedures.
- To notify the Catering Manager of any breakages and of any faulty equipment prior to completion of duty. To notify the Catering Manager of any shortages in supplies in time to re-order if necessary.
- To ensure that a record is kept of the numbers of meals provided each shift, the specified prices for any meals sold are used, cash takings are reconciled and paid into the reception office with till receipt & all organizational documentation is completed accurately.
- To attend all meetings and training as instructed by line management.
- To be able to respect the Christian ethos of the YMCA and uphold its values.
The successful applicant should be able to demonstrate the following qualities and skills, although the willingness to acquire the skills listed will be taken into account in the selection process.
- Have experience of working in a commercial kitchen including the preparation, cooking and serving of meals.
- Have experience in cash handling, food/supplies ordering, stock control eg stock rotation and deliveries and kitchen cleaning.
- To be qualified, or have proven training to a minimum of Level 2 in Food Preparation / Service and similarly in Food Safety.
- Relate to people from a wide range of ages and backgrounds who are staying at the hostel for a variety of reasons (e.g .fleeing violence, health problems) and deal with individuals in a manner appropriate to the circumstances.
- Be entirely dependable and punctual, enabling the management/Catering Manager to be assured that the premises are kept up to a high standard of cleanliness.
- Be able to perform satisfactorily duties and responsibilities listed and described on the Job Description and to carry out other tasks not specified but relating to the catering operation.
- Act towards residents, staff, visitors and others in accordance with the Association’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Deal with all Association business and sensitive matters with confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively as part of the Catering staff team.
- To be able to respect the Christian ethos of the YMCA and demonstrate its core values of respect, empathy and equality in daily work.
- Relevant qualifications in Food Nutrition, health and safety, fire safety etc.
- Have experience in staff supervision.
- Understanding of Homelessness and housing problems.
- Ability to speak Welsh.