YMCA Cardiff SleepEasy 2018
SLEEP ROUGH SO OTHERS DON’T HAVE TO.
REGISTRATION IS NOW LIVE!
About the SleepEasy 2018 Event
Sleeping rough on the streets is something that many of our residents at YMCA Cardiff have experienced first-hand. Finding it difficult to continue in education or employment, homeless people are more likely to have alcohol and drug problems, have poor mental and physical health, more likely to self-harm, require emergency health services and face considerable barriers in accessing the care they need.
Today thousands of people have to leave their homes due to family conflict, violence and physical or sexual abuse, and differences of opinions over cultural expectations. Despite these challenges many have strong aspirations and ideals. With professional support, YMCA Cardiff is able to provide them with a future.
That is why we are asking you to take part in one of our two SleepEasy Challenges. The aim of SleepEasy is to raise much needed funds to support our services, and to highlight the plight of the homeless.
Date: Any night during 1st – 31st March 2018
Venue: This year, we are encouraging people who are unable to make it to the main event, to hold their own satellite events. This could be at your local church, school, workplace, college, home or any other safe place. Registration Fee/Donation £5
SleepEasy Sofa Surfers – register here
Date: Any night during 1st – 31st March 2018
Venue: Why not highlight the plight of people who Sofa Surf because they don’t have a home of their own. We would welcome anyone of any age to register
as a SleepEasy Sofa Surfer, spending a night sleeping on a sofa whilst getting your family and friends to sponsor you. Registration Fee/Donation £3
To help you fundraise you can:
- Open your own online fundraising page: https://www.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/cardiffymca-housingassociation/sleepeasy2018 then circulate a link to your friends. You can even add to the site the value of donations raised using your sponsorship form.
- Download a sponsorship form here. Make sure that everyone knows that you will be taking part in a SleepEasy Event and give out sponsorship forms so that they can raise money for you too.
- Make a *BACS payment – ideal, if anyone wants to match fund a participant, or if you know someone who would like to make a sizeable donation. To avoid the surcharge of online giving please email the event co-ordinator firstname.lastname@example.org for payment details.
- Send in a *cheque – which should be made payable to Cardiff YMCA Housing Association Ltd. Please post to: Mandy Caddy, SleepEasy Co-ordinator, YMCA Cardiff (HA), The Walk, Roath, Cardiff CF24 3AG.
*Please download a Gift Aid form and ensure it is signed and includes the postcode.
How do I pay in my sponsorship money?
- Preferably, ask you sponsors to make their donation directly through your own JustGiving fundraising page. You may also use your fundraising page to pay in any cash donations.
- Send in a cheque made payable to ‘Cardiff YMCA Housing Association Ltd’ for the attention of: Mandy Caddy (Event Co-ordinator) YMCA SleepEasy Challenge, Cardiff YMCA Housing Association, The Walk, Cardiff CF24 3AG – by the 30th April if possible please.
- Make your payment (cash/cheque or card) at the YMCA reception desk at The Walk, Roath, Cardiff, between 8.30am – 7.30pm Monday to Friday & 8.30am – 5.30pm Saturday and Sunday. (Please give reception staff your name and contact details, and let them know that your payment relates to a SleepEasy Event).
- Make a donation on your phone from £1 up to £10 by textingYMCA40 and either 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10 to 70070. Texts are free and we will receive 100% of your donation.
Don’t limit fundraising to sponsorship.
Sales, raffles, auctions and collections all offer alternative ways to bring in additional funds. E.g. Sell SleepEasy excuses to your friends and family. These could range from a cast iron excuse for £5, to a feeble one at £10. You could print ‘I’ve been excused’ SleepEasy stickers for those who can’t take part but have made a donation.
Encourage friends and workmates to use their social networking sites to ask their contacts to either join in or sponsor you. And don’t forget to speak to your employers. Last year two people were match funded by their employers. Put a link to your fundraising page on your email signature and put posters up in your common room, company newsletter, and intranet. And don’t forget to promote on Facebook.
And remember – you don’t have to sleep rough to get involved!
We need volunteers to promote, fundraise, sponsors, and entertain participants. Please get in touch with the Event Co-ordinator if you can help in any way.
We have a range of meeting rooms (and a theatre) available at our main site in the Walk in Cardiff and also at our other site YMCA Plas. You can hire by the hour or by the day (7 days a week) and there is the option of refreshments and food available also (available only Mon-Fri) Click on the main Room Hire Link to see the options available or give us a call to discuss your requirements. Why not book at the YMCA and support our charitable work.
Visit our Charity Shops on Wellfield Road and Albany Road in Roath, Cardiff.