Skills & Mentoring Worker
REPONSIBLE TO: Project Manager
HOURS: 18.5 hours per week (to incl. evenings and weekends / flexible working pattern essential – flexibility is expected to suit the needs of the project and young people)
CONTRACT: 12 months
- To initiate, build and maintain purposeful relationships with young people
- Encourage young people to broaden their horizons to be effective citizens
- To support young people in their understanding of risk and challenge
- Support young people to identify and achieve aims so that they may reach their full potential
Because we CARE and have COMPASSION we want to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Our aim is to EMPOWER and SUPPORT people.
We do this with RESPECT and EMPATHY, mindful of the EQUALITY of all.
JOB PURPOSE: To provide a support service to young carers across Cardiff, working in partnership with the Support 4 Families team and other statutory and voluntary organisations. This role will provide facilitate workshops that will increase young carers confidence, self-esteem and wellbeing by providing activities that develop their life skills.
To provide a person led support service which will provide the young carer with increased confidence, self-esteem and wellbeing by providing activities that develop their life skills. Specific responsibilities:
- Offer 1-2-1 and group activities tailored to meet the needs of young carers by providing access to a range of skill based respite opportunities, activities and workshops
- To establish trust and respect with young carers, maintaining regular interaction and consistent support
- Evaluate and consult with young carers on a regular basis, ensuring activities are young person led and a co-productive approach
- To facilitate the development of a young carers youth forum to provide young carers a voice on issues that affect them
- Work with local and national partners to support young carers to gain access to appropriate information and advice in relation to carers needs
- Ensure that information on young carers rights is accessible and kept up to date and available to all young carers in Cardiff
- Conduct on-going evaluations of service using feedback from the young carers and professionals
- Maintain up to date records of young people identified and supported using systems already developed by YMCA Cardiff
To actively develop and promote the Young Carers project and services provided by YMCA. Specific responsibilities:
- In collaboration with colleagues, develop and maintain a schedule of awareness and or promotion initiatives for young carers
- Work with project team to identify areas of unmet need and develop ideas
- To maintain an online presence through our social media platforms
- Liaise with a statutory and voluntary organisations to identify opportunities for partnership working
- Provide progress reports and regular work plans for line manager, Board of Directors and funders as required
- Promote equality and the valuing of diversity within the project
- Publicise and promote the young carer’s project with all relevant agencies and organisations
- Encourage and progress new referrals to the service in a timely fashion
- To maintain a good understanding of current issues and legislation affecting young carers
To carry out other duties that reasonably fall within the scope of the post:
- Participate in regular team meetings with YMCA Cardiff Group staff and 1-2-1 supervisions with line manager
- Undertake any other duties necessary to further the aims and objectives of the project
- To promote the values and ethos of YMCA Cardiff and Cardiff Council
- To carry out such duties as may be agreed between the Line Manager and the worker.
- To carry out the responsibilities and duties of the post with full regard to all YMCA Cardiff Policies and Procedures.
- Recognised JNC qualification in youth and community work or Health and Social Care qualification
- Award in Education and Training Level 3 (or similar)
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Experience OF working with young people in youth work settings
- Knowledge of All Wales Child Protection Procedures
- Knowledge of young carers issues and legislation
- Administrative and IT skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritise and delegate/ Manage own workload and time/ time manage.
- Good negotiating skills
- Ability to make decisions
- Commitment to ensure effective service delivery to young carers and good practice standards.
- Flexibility and willingness to participate in out of hours work (evenings and weekends)
- Positive approach to change / innovation
- Commitment to co-operative working and able to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Professional approach to confidentiality, boundaries and anti-discriminatory practice.
- Driver and own transport
- Be able to demonstrate our values of respect, empathy and equality in daily work
- Educated to Degree or Diploma level
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Experience of working with young carers
- Liaison with external agencies
- Budgets / Finance
- Ability to speak Welsh
The closing date for application is 2nd September 2022. Successful applicants at the first stage of interview will be invited to progress to the second stage where you will attend a trial shift with our Project Team.
Applicants will only be contacted if they are successful in securing an interview.
To join our team and for further job details, job description, person specification and online application form please go to our website at www.ymcacardiff.wales
If you have any questions please contact Laura Taylor (HR Administrator) on 02920465250
An enhanced DBS Disclosure is required for this post.
YMCA Cardiff is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other class protected by law.
WHY WORK FOR US?
Be part of the YMCA team that has been in existence since 1852!
- Investors In People Gold organisation
- Generous pension scheme
- Competitive Salary
- Group Life Insurance
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Private Health Scheme
- Registered with Perkbox, giving access to discounts and peer recognition
- Online HR system giving access to book your annual leave from a mobile/tablet
- Group team days
- Enhanced annual leave allowance
“Always being encouraged to try new things to develop and broaden my skills – there are opportunities if I want to progress”
“I love working here – love the job, love the people and love the atmosphere”.