POST: Young Carer’s Project Worker
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Project Worker
HOURS: 37½ per week between the hours of 9am – 10pm Monday to Sunday, (flexibility is expected to suit the needs of the project and young people).
CONTRACT: 4 Months Fixed Term Contract until March 2023 (Subject to Funding Thereafter).
SALARY: Starts £23,740.
1. To initiate, build and maintain purposeful relationships with young people
2. Encourage young people to broaden their horizons to be effective citizens
3. To support young people in their understanding of risk and challenge
4. Support young people to identify and achieve aims so that they may reach their full potential
Because we CARE and have COMPASSION we want to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Our aim is to EMPOWER and SUPPORT people.
We do this with RESPECT and EMPATHY, mindful of the EQUALITY of all.
To provide support to young carer’s this will include young carer’s youth clubs and respite activities, 1-2-1 support sessions, workshops, training and learning to address carer’s needs, working as appropriate with colleagues to maximise outcomes for young carer’s. To provide a support service to young carer’s across Vale of Glamorgan in partnership with other statutory and voluntary organisations.
- Provide a support service to young carer’s with other statutory and voluntary organisations
- To provide support and to advise young carer’s through group work programmes, activities and one to one discussion.
- To help young carer’s develop social skills and increase self-confidence.
- To provide young carer’s with a programme of respite activities
- To empower young carer’s to identify their own needs and to develop appropriate support systems to meet those needs.
- To involve young carer’s in the decision-making and planning of facilities and activities relevant to their needs.
- To maintain monitoring and evaluation methods with young people and distance travelled tools as appropriate.
- To maintain accurate records and statistical information to allow effective evaluation for funders through our Charity Log CRM database
- To attend various staff group/team meetings both internal and external.
- To deliver staff awareness training around issues of mental health & well-being for young people
- To attend any identified training as agreed with the line manager.
- To adhere to and comply with all organisational policies and procedures.
- To be able to respect the Christian ethos of the YMCA and uphold its values
- Other duties as thought relevant and appropriate by the Management to ensure the day-today operation of the organisations which includes covering others roles in their absence.
PERSONAL SPECIFICATION Young Carer’s Project Worker
Level 2 qualification in child protection
Experience of working with young carer’s
Knowledge of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of a Child (UNCRC)
Ability to drive a mini bus
Able to speak Welsh
Minimum Level 3 qualification in Youth & Community work
Qualification in youth work or working with young people
KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE
Experience of working with young people in various youth settings
Knowledge of young carer’s issues and relevant legislation
Knowledge of the All Wales Child Protection Procedures
Experience of monitoring and evaluating activities
Liaison with external agencies
Excellent communication skills with young people in groups and 1-2-1 situations
Administrative and IT skills.
Good verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to prioritise and manage own workload and time
Good negotiating skills
Ability to make decisions
Ability to manage difficult situations and challenging behavior with young people
Ability to relate to young people from a wide range of backgrounds
Commitment to effective service delivery to young people
Commitment to good practice standards
Positive approach to change / innovation
Able to respect the Christian ethos of the YMCA and uphold its values
Commitment to co-operative working and able to work autonomously and as part of a team
Professional approach to confidentiality, boundaries and anti-discriminatory practice
Reliable / dependable
Flexible working ability to work weekends and evenings due to the nature of the post
Able to respect and demonstrate the Associations core values : Respect – Equality – Empathy in daily work
Registered with the Education Workforce Council (EWC)
Driver with own transport with business insurance