PRESS RELEASE | 06/08/2020
YMCA Cardiff awarded COVID-19 funding from
Youth Endowment Fund
Cardiff based charity YMCA Cardiff has been awarded a grant of £72,000 from the Youth Endowment Fund to support young people at-risk of being drawn into violent crime through the COVID-19 pandemic.
With the funding, YMCA Cardiff will undertake outreach youth work sessions to re-engage with young people in the local community. They will be able to access trusted and qualified youth workers for advice and support, as young people have not been able to access regular support due to the social distancing and stay-at-home measures.
The Youth Endowment Fund is an independent charitable trust set up by the Home Office. It funds, supports and evaluates projects in England and Wales which work to prevent children and young people from being drawn into violent crime.
YMCA Cardiff is one of 130 organisations to share part of a £6.5m grant pot from the Youth Endowment Fund to help at-risk young people impacted by COVID-19.
Caroline Ryan Head of Youth & Community, YMCA Cardiff, said: “Young people will need our support now more than ever, due to youth services closing to the current pandemic, this has had a massive impact on young people and we hope that this funding will enable us to start re-engaging with the most vulnerable young people in our community so that they can access much needed advice and support.”
Jon Yates, Executive Director at Youth Endowment Fund, said: “It has been too easy to forget vulnerable young people during this crisis. The pandemic has removed much of the critical support that many of them rely upon – from teachers to youth workers. This funding will help us find the best way to reach and support these young people when they most need it.”
For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
About YMCA Cardiff
- Cardiff YMCA is a registered charity and has supported the needs of the local community since 1852. The organisation runs a number of youth projects across Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan including young carer’s projects, the Healthy Relationships Service, C-card scheme and youth provision at YMCA Plas Community Centre.
- Read more about our work here: ymcacardiff.wales/
- Follow us on Twitter: @YMCACdiff_Grp
About the Youth Endowment Fund
- The Youth Endowment Fund is an independent charitable trust. It is run by Impetus, a charity focused on transforming the lives of disadvantaged young people, in partnership with the Early Intervention Foundation (EIF) and Social Investment Business.
- The partnership combines Impetus’ expertise of building high impact charities and programmes, EIF’s knowledge of how to intervene early to improve outcomes for children, and Social Investment Business’ experience of managing and evaluating large scale grant programmes, to create a bold new model to tackle youth offending.
- Find out more at: youthendowmentfund.org.uk
- Follow us on Twitter: @YouthEndowFund