Job Title: Healthy Relationships Youth Worker (PT)
Location: Vale of Glamorgan
Closing Date: 29/05/2023
POST: Healthy Relationships Youth Worker (part of the Sexual Health Outreach Team)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Project Worker
HOURS: 20 hours per week between the hours of 9am – 10pm Monday to Sunday, (flexibility is expected to suit the needs of the project and young people)
1. To initiate, build and maintain purposeful relationships with young people
2. Encourage young people to broaden their horizons to be effective citizens
3. To support young people in their understanding of risk and challenge
4. Support young people to identify and achieve aims so that they may reach their full potential
Because we CARE and have COMPASSION we want to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Our aim is to EMPOWER and SUPPORT people.
We do this with RESPECT and EMPATHY, mindful of the EQUALITY of all.
The Healthy Relationship Worker will be responsible for the development and co-ordination of the C-Card Scheme across the Vale of Glamorgan. The role will also include an element of focused group work at C-Card outlets and youth provisions delivering targeted activities to targeted groups of young people.
- As required to plan, deliver and evaluate group activities at C-Card outlets, which support the sexual health and wellbeing of young people in Vale of Glamorgan, with a particular focus on vulnerable young people and those at risk.
- To have a good understanding of current issues affecting young people with a focus on relationships, teenage pregnancy and risk factors associated with teenage pregnancy.
- To work in partnership with the Vale of Glamorgan Youth Service to develop the delivery of the C-Card Scheme, that will include setting up outlets, training assessors to deliver the scheme, monitoring and evaluating through our management information system and ensuring adequate stock is supplied to the c-card collection points.
- To work in partnership with the Vale of Glamorgan Youth Service to support their LGBTQA+ work.
- Work with local and national partners to support young people to gain access to appropriate information and advice in relation to relationships and sexual health.
- To maintain records and provide reports to funders and senior management as necessary.
- Promotion of the service to relevant partners in health, education and social services, to include an active social media presence.
- To maintain accurate records of young people accessing the service and statistical information, to allow effective evaluation for funders.
- To attend various staff group/team meetings both internal and external.
- To attend any identified training as agreed with the line manager.
- To adhere to and comply with all organisational policies and procedures.
- To be able to respect the Christian ethos of the YMCA and uphold its values.
- Other duties as thought relevant and appropriate by the Management to ensure the day-today operation of the organisations which includes covering others roles in their absence.
PERSONAL SPECIFICATION Healthy Relationships Worker
- Minimum of Level 3 Qualification in Youth & Community or a similar discipline
- Demonstrable experience in working with young people
- Proven track record of working with young people
- Knowledge and experience in session planning and evaluation
- Knowledge and understanding of All Wales Child Protection Procedures, Health and safety, equal opportunities and Confidentiality
- Understanding and value of equality and diversity in the workplace
- Experience of liaising with external agencies and partnership working
- Knowledge of services available for young people with experience of signposting and referring to relevant agencies
- People focused and non-judgmental attitude
- Organisational skills: Ability to prioritise and manage own workload and time
- Ability to make decisions
- Ability to manage difficult situations and challenging behavior with young people
- Ability to relate to young people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Commitment to effective service delivery to young people
- Commitment to good practice standards
- Positive approach to change / innovation
- Able to respect the Christian ethos of the YMCA and uphold its values
- Commitment to co-operative working and able to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Professional approach to confidentiality, boundaries and anti-discriminatory practice
- Reliable / dependable
- Flexible working ability to work weekends and evenings due to the nature of the post
- Driver with own transport with business insurance
- Qualification in working with children and young people
· Knowledge of the C-Card Scheme and/or trained C-Card Assessor
- Ability to drive a mini bus
- Ability to speak Welsh